SIGN-UP TO RECEIVE FREE INSPIRATION & WELLNESS ADVICE
VEGGIE CHILI STEW
It’s always good to add a little spice to our lives. This vegan and gluten free chili stew has many of the spices that aid the liver and detoxify our bodies, especially in those late winter and early spring months when our bodies are resisting winter flu bugs and it is still chilly (not chili) outside.
In addition, vegetable from the Brassica family have been added to this chili stew to assist the liver further. This delicious recipe will feed a crowd of 8-10 or you can make it up on the weekend and have lunches for the week-one of my favourite time savers..
Chili Stew Ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ can jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped mushrooms-the brown ones are firmer
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- One 15-ounce cans of kidney beans, rinsed
- Two 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed
- One 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 Fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup gluten free barbeque sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- In a Dutch oven heat olive oil, onion, garlic, and habanero sauce. Stir consistently until the onion is golden and translucent.
- Add in the cumin, turmeric, chili powder, broccoli mushrooms, green pepper and butternut squash, and stir well. Sauté and stir for 3 to 4 minutes. This will make your kitchen smell wonderful.
- Add in black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, water, barbeque sauce , sea salt, pepper and chopped cilantro. Cover chili stew with a lid, reduce heat to low, and allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the squash is softened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the kale.
- Serve with fresh cilantro as a garnish over a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Note for Meat Lovers:
For meat lovers, it is super easy to saute a pound of ground organic lean meat or poultry when you are sauteing the spices for this chili stew.
I’d love to hear your comments after you try this chili stew. You can always increase or decrease the spices to taste!
Hear’s to a healthy February!
If you enjoyed this article share it with others