SIGN-UP TO RECEIVE FREE INSPIRATION & WELLNESS ADVICE
Does Diet Soda make you Fat?
Diet soda makes you fat? True? I grew up drinking diet sodas and loved that it was calorie-free but no mention that it made us fat! Let’s us the Fridge Ninja?
A recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found
- Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
- Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of type 2 diabetes and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
- Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar- sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
Here is a simple explanation of how diet sodas make us fatter
- Artificial sweeteners are many times sweeter than regular sugar activating our desire for more sweetness (and more calories)
- Even though there are few calories in Diet Pop, the sweetness can trigger a response from our Insulin . Insulin is the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
- It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbohydrates like bread and pasta.
I recommend my clients quit their diet sodas as part of healthy lifestyle changes that will help them create the slim, healthy body they want to achieve.
To your success!
If you enjoyed this article share it with others