SIGN-UP TO RECEIVE FREE INSPIRATION & WELLNESS ADVICE
Mediterranean Appetizers-Tzatziki & Hummus
I love all things Greek, especially their food. Normally I buy Tzatziki and Hummus for dipping fresh vegetables and warmed pita bread but yesterday my husband decided we were going to get creative and decided to make our own Tzatziki and Hummus from scratch.
Our garden is full of fresh new cucumbers and a friend just gave us a bag full of elephant garlic (stronger and larger than regular garlic so you use less)so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to play with some new recipes.
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (can sub soy yogurt if dairy intolerant)
- 1 cup seeded cucumber, shredded or diced
- ½ lemon juiced ( a lemon/lime juicer does this in a snap and you get no seeds)
- 2 cloves Elephant garlic, minced (use the slice end of a garlic grater for ease)
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried dill (if you use fresh dill that’s even better)
- Sea Salt and Black pepper (to taste)
- If yogurt is not super thick you can strain yogurt using a cheesecloth or coffee filter for 30 minutes or so to remove some moisture. Once you find a good thick Greek yogurt you won’t have to do this step.
- Shred 1 medium or 2 baby cucumbers, sprinkle with salt and then lay out on paper towel to draw out moisture.
- Mix together yogurt, cucumber, dill, garlic, and lemon.
- Add a dash of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
Serve with fresh vegetables for dipping and/ or whole grain pita warmed in the oven
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon juiced)
- 1/4 cup tahini (make sure it’s fresh as tahini dries over time).
- 1 elephantl garlic clove, sliced fine in a garlic press
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving.
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon ground cumin depending on your taste.
Put all ingredients into a strong blender or food processer and blend until smooth.
Refrigerate for an hour or so to let all flavours develop.
Serve with fresh vegetables, healthy crackers or warmed pita bread for dipping.
If you enjoyed this article share it with others