Growing up my mother who was a head nurse always told me that if I wanted to look and feel great I needed to eat an alkaline diet. While I thought she was a bit “woo-woo” at the time, I now know that she was right. (Mother is always right remember)
With the world pandemic of Covid-19 raging on right now it is even more important to keep our bodies strong and healthy than ever before.
Did you know that to function at its best, our body (including our skin, hair, nails, muscle tone etc.) naturally wants to be at a slightly alkaline state of 7.5 on the PH level.
When our pH levels are ‘out of balance’ the body tries to correct this in a number of ways.
If our body becomes too acidic it affects our immune system, skin, hair and nails and shows up as uncomfortable symptoms, including colds, flues, allergies, diseases, viruses, and bacteria.
What happens when our body is out of PH balance?
When our body’s PH level is unbalanced, almost any area of the body can be affected. For example, when the nervous system is affected as the result of unbalanced pH balance it shows up in the form of the depression. If the cardiovascular system is affected we could have heart disease or experience other heart-related problems, including thickening and hardening of the arteries, coronary heart disease, pain or discomfort in the chest, stroke, high blood pressure, and heart failure. Or if our muscles are affected we often feel fatigue and lack of energy. When skin is affected by improper pH balance we age quicker than normal.
When our body’s pH level is in balance with an alkaline diet, our body reaches ideal weight and corrects negative health challenges naturally.
Nutrients found in alkaline supplements, alkalizing foods, and water can bring the body back to its natural, healthy balance. Alkalizing vitamins, minerals, and herbs infuse the body with new energy, vitality, and better health.
When we are making any transitions to what we eat, the important point to remember is that small changes go a long way. I suggest that you add more alkaline foods to your diet gradually. Here are some easy ways to do this.
8 simple ways to switch to an alkaline diet & get our bodies back into beautiful balance :
Even though incorporating these 8 suggestions will make a huge change to how you feel and look, take your time to incorporate them into your daily routine. I find that if I can make 1 small change and stick to it for around 21 days it becomes a new healthy habit. Pick 1 of these * items at a time and slowly incorporate it. Once this new habit becomes a way of life pick another item to focus on.
Try to reduce these items
1) Reduce the consumption of sugar and products made from sugar, including soda pop, pies, ice cream, jello , jams & jellies, artificial juices, puddings, doughnuts, corn syrups, chewing gum, sweetened drinks, cookies, breakfast cereals, liqueurs, mixed drinks.
2) As much as possible avoid processed foods and condiments. Try making your own homemade ketchups, barbeque sauces and salad dressings. You will avoid the chemicals and sugar used in processing which are highly acid producing. You can also find some healthy options in most health food stores.
3) Avoid cooking and heating foods and drinks in the microwave.
4) Cut down on dairy, meats, fried foods and fast foods.
Focus on increasing these items
5) Increase your consumption of raw vegetables and raw fresh fruits (without sugar). You should include raw vegetables in every meal. If your appetite is small in the morning try fresh fruits, a protein or green smoothie. Another delicious breakfast treat is overnight Chia pudding . If your lunches usually consist of sandwiches try to substitute them with a raw salad or a vegetable juice. Have a large salad before you eat a heavy entree at dinner. This way, you will be sure to eat all of the salad instead of finding yourself too full to finish it.
6) Organic and ancient grains are important in maintaining the alkaline balance in the body. Grains are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients, including folic acid, fiber, carbohydrates antioxidants and phytoestrogens. The Department of Food and Science and Nutrition at University of Minnesota determined that consumption of whole grains reduces the risk of chronic diseases including cancer and cardiovascular disease. By eating grains you can eat less but feel full. Grains should comprise about 20% of your diet. Many grains available today are gluten free and delicious. One breakfast or lunch idea is Avocado Toast . Simply toast a piece or 2 of your favourite gluten free bread and slice 1/2 a soft avocado on top. Use a blunt knife to smooth out the avocado slices and top with a sprinkling of Pink Himalayan Salt to bring out the flavour.
7) Don’t forget to hydrate. Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of good quality water each day.
8) Start your day with a glass of tepid water and the juice of ½- 1 whole lemon. This will naturally alkalize your body and keep it in an alkaline state as the day moves on. A super easy way start.
If you follow these easy 8 steps it will allow you to create the proper alkaline balance within your body.
Creating the proper alkaline balance within your body will bring you increased quality of life in so many ways. You’ll start seeing immediate improvements in your health and appearance . Your energy will increase, your concentration will be stronger. Your skin will be firmer and clearer. Your hair and nails will become more lustrous. You’ll build strength, stamina, and resistance to diseases. Your entire body will function more efficiently just like it was meant to do.
Leave a Reply