My latest homemade Italian sauce recipe makes a great base for all your favourite Italian dishes. It freezes well and can be defrosted quickly when the mood for a quick Mediterranean meal strikes. Use it tonight for a delicious Vegan spaghetti. There will be enough Italian sauce left over for a lasagna that feeds 8 at a later date.
THIS Italian Sauce RECIPE IS: Vegan, Gluten and Dairy Free
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- ½ cup antipasto
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 large yellow onion minced
- 1 green pepper minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 pound package ground vegan meat (optional)
Heat a Dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat. Add in olive oil, antipasto, garlic and fresh basil and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Next add the onion and green pepper and continue to saute for about 5 minutes, until softened.
Pour in the red wine, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, and Italian flat leaf parsley. Bring to a slow boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour (or until your house smells amazing).
For a thicker “meatier Italian sauce” add 1 package of Vegan ground meat just before you turn the sauce on to low. Vegan “meat” is already cooked so you do not want to dry it out by adding it too soon to the sauce.