I love lettuce wraps and often order them in Asian restaurants. The other day I decided that I love them so much I wanted to put together lettuce wraps at home. My criteria was it had to be super healthy, gluten free as well as delicious. I have had lettuce wraps with beef, chicken, ground turkey and totally vegetarian but for my first endeavor I chose to use extra lean ground beef as I had some in my freezer . I rarely eat beef but every once in awhile I will indulge. Feel free to substitute with your favourite meat or a meat substitute like a firm tofu. I served this recipe with all the accompaniments to some special company and everyone loved it. Hope you do too!
Prep time about 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound organic ground chicken, lean beef, turkey, or meat substitute
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chili sauce
- 1-4 ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- ½ pound mushrooms
- Black pepper and pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- 3 green onions finely sliced
- green onions for garnish
- 1 pound bean sprouts
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 butter or head lettuce
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Add ground meat or meat substitute and garlic. Cook until it is browned.
- Once browned, stir in the diced onion, sliced mushrooms, hoisin sauce, tamari sauce, vinegar, grated ginger and Chili sauce until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms are soft and lightly browned. Stir in the sliced water chestnuts and green onions until just tender. Season with ground black pepper and Himalayan sea salt to taste. You won’t need much!
On a big platter arrange lettuce leaves, bean sprouts, coleslaw mix and green onions and let guests put their wraps together taco-style.
Let me know how your lettuce wraps turn out in the comments below!