I have just spent the most amazing week at Cortes Island on our beautiful West Coast. *See pictures below. Blackberries were everywhere you looked so we picked a ton. Blackberry Jam was on my list of things to make with our pickings but I wanted to develop a Blackberry Jam recipe that was sugar free or as close as I could get.
Chia seeds came to the rescue. Chia seeds help jams to thicken without the use of sugar and pectin. Aside from being a great thickener, Chia seeds are incredibly healthy for us.
Here are just 4 properties that Chia seeds in Blackberry Jam benefit us with:
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber, especially insoluble fiber, which is an important nutrient for your digestive system. Insoluble fiber acts like a broom for your digestive tract, cleaning it out and keeping it healthy.
- Chia seeds are full of good Omega 3 fats which are very Omega-3 fats which are important for healthy brain function
- Chia seeds are a good source of many important minerals , including calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, that are needed for strong bones .
- Including Chia seeds in our diet has an anti-inflammatory effect, helping to prevent many degenerative diseases.
- They’re packed with vitamin C. Just one cup of raw blackberries has 30.2 milligrams of vitamin C. That’s half the daily recommended value. …
- They are also high in fiber. …
- Super source of vitamin K. …
- High in the mineral manganese. …
- Anti inflammatory properties that aid brain cognition
- Has anti-bacteria and anti inflammatory properties that helps support health of our teeth and gums
So, as you can see, combining blackberries with chia seeds make Blackberry Jam extremely good for us, as well as delicious.
Cortes Island Blackberry Jam
3 cups blackberries
1 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBSP liquid honey
3 TBSP chia seeds
In a saucepan over medium heat, begin to heat the blackberries. Stir constantly for approximately 1 minute.
Add in the liquid ingredients and continue to heat until the blackberries become soft and become gel like. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
You can use this Blackberry jam over yogurt or ice cream, on pancakes, toast or whatever else you can think up.
More photos of beautiful Cortes Island