It’s almost Back to School time! Looking for the perfect satisfying treat for lunch boxes & after school or work? Try making these Peanut Butter Balls to surprise your child (or grandchild.)
Compared to traditional recipes, this super simple method for making one of the world’s most favourite combinations of peanut butter and chocolate. This is a quick recipe and makes approximately 24 balls, depending on the size you like. These Decadent Peanut Butter Balls will be a hit with everyone in your family!
Important Note: If you or your child (grandchild) is allergic to peanut butter than you can easily replace the peanut better with almond or cashew butter.
You can make up a plate for hungry after school appetites that include additional fruit, nuts & popcorn to nosh on. These are such an easy treat that you will want to make these peanut butter balls often!
Decadent Peanut Butter Balls
2 cups 100% natural peanut butter* (smooth or crunchy, I use smooth unsalted)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup**, to taste
Fine grain Pink Himalayan salt, to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
2-3 Tbsp coconut flour or amaranth (I used 1 Tbsp)
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (use the highest quality you can)
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
1. Stir the jar of peanut butter well before using. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter and maple syrup vigorously, for 30-60 seconds, until it thickens up. It will go from runny to thick during this time.
2. Add salt to taste
3. Stir in the flour until combined (if your PB is dry, you might be able to skip this step or only use half). We’re looking for a texture that isn’t too sticky, but not too dry either. Let it sit for a couple minutes to firm up as the flour will continue to absorb moisture with time. Add a touch more flour if necessary. Or if it’s too dry, add a touch more syrup. Tip: At this stage you can wrap the dough in parchment and then saran wrap and leave in the fridge until ready to make the balls. I have left it over night and it is great to work with the next day.
4. Shape into small balls (I made about 24 golf ball sized).
5. In a small pot or double boiler, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat over low heat, stirring frequently. Once half the chips have melted, remove from heat and stir until completely smooth.
6. Use a fork or candy tongs, to dip each ball into the melted chocolate, cover completely and place the ball on a plate or cutting board lined with parchment or into a decorative candy cup . Drizzle a little chocolate from the tip of the fork, on top of the balls for a artsy look. Or before placing on parchment or in cup, roll them in finely chopped peanuts. Save any leftover melted chocolate for later.
7. Store in a cool place. Try and save some to share with your favourite people!
* I recommend using 100% natural peanut butter for this recipe. The ingredient list on the jar should read roasted peanuts and maybe salt, if it’s salted. The other peanut butters are high in sugar and other ingredients and may not turn out as well. I use Adams natural peanut butter.
Also, remember the maple syrup is best if it is the real deal, these PB balls are called decadent for a reason!
I asked Carmen Barclay, our head health coach at LiveWell Consulting if she would permit me to post her yummy and super easy recipe for Decadent Peanut Butter Balls and she graciously agreed. Thank you Carmen! I am sure our readers will love making, sharing and eating this delicious recipe!
Leave a Reply