Diet soda makes you fat? True? I grew up drinking diet sodas and loved that it was calorie-free but no mention that it made us fat! Let’s us the Fridge Ninja?
A recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found
- Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
- Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of type 2 diabetes and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
- Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar- sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
Here is a simple explanation of how diet sodas make us fatter
- Artificial sweeteners are many times sweeter than regular sugar activating our desire for more sweetness (and more calories)
- Even though there are few calories in Diet Pop, the sweetness can trigger a response from our Insulin . Insulin is the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
- It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbohydrates like bread and pasta.
I recommend my clients quit their diet sodas as part of healthy lifestyle changes that will help them create the slim, healthy body they want to achieve.
To your success!