Bring out the barbie!
It’s barbeque season and at the same time, my vegetable garden is starting to go wild, especially the zucchinis. Here is a special occasion (or just to impress your friends and family) recipe of grilled vegetables. For vegetarians you can serve as a main dish along with a big salad of your choice and perhaps a rice or potato dish on the side (Greek potatoes are one of my favourites-stay tune for that recipe)Non-vegetarians-add a meat/fish dish like West Coast Salmon (see my blog for this recipe) to round out your meal along with your fave salad. Note: you could use a George Forman grill inside or grill outside in a Vegetable basket right over the grill. Another option, if you don’t have a grill basket is to place aluminum foil over the grill and poke holes in it so you don’t lose 1 delicious morsel of your vegetables.
Grilled Vegetable Strata (Of course, it’s Gluten-Free!)
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 4 1/4-inch pieces, lengthwise.
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 8 1/4-inch pieces, lengthwise
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 8 1/4-inch circular pieces
- 1 large purple onion, cut into thin circular (or semi-circular) slices
- Fresh cylindrical bocochini , cut into 8 1/4-inch circular slices
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 medium garlic or shallot cloves, finely chopped-using a garlic press makes this easy)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Grill the vegetables (on medium/high) about 5-10 minutes until soft and you see the grill lines and turn. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the garlic/shallots (for a bit more spice add some red pepper flakes too) and cook just until the garlic begins to color – about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat immediately, add in the Cilantro , salt and pepper.
Put it all together
In a baking dish, place two pieces of eggplant in a glass baking dish. Season with black pepper Drizzle with the oil/garlic/cilantro mixture. Top with 4 pieces of tomato, grind black pepper and top with 4 pieces of bocochini cheese Drizzle with the oil/garlic/cilantro mixture Top that with 4 pieces of the zucchini, season and repeat with remaining vegetables and bocochini cheese. Add the purple onions on top. Season. Drizzle with the oil/garlic/cilantro mixture. Cover with foil. Keep warm in oven till ready to serve. Expect your guests to ask for this recipe of grilled vegetables!