Even though it is Spring, right now (and especially now) it is not too warm to enjoy an immune boosting Mediterranean chicken soup. This Chicken Soup is packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients like ginger, turmeric, lemon & garlic. This is the BEST CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE you will ever taste, with a bonus-it’s completely low glycemic/carb!
If you are eating Paleo, Keto, Low glycemic, gluten or dairy free, this chicken soup recipe could become your new go-to lunch.
For those of you who need extra carbs or calories, you can always add ½ cup of Greek Orzo to the recipe.
For those of you who are vegetarian or vegan please substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and 1 can of drained and rinsed chick peas for the chicken.
Lemon Ginger Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks broccoli (just the bottoms)
- 1 can sliced mushrooms with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup cooked chicken pieces ( a great way to use up the ends of a roasted chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas ( for the finish)
Place a large Dutch oven or pot over medium high heat and add in oil. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery; cook for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent.
Next add in grated ginger and grated turmeric. Saute for 30 seconds to let the spices cook a bit, then add in chicken broth, chicken meat, sliced mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Bring soup to a boil, then stir in rice/orzo( if you are using). Stir well.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Stir in frozen peas. If you find that you don’t have enough broth, feel free to add in another cup as it renders down. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Enjoy.