Zucchini season is in full swing and I have been creative recipes to use up my gardens abundance. I love the combination of onions, zucchini & peppers so I thought I would combine them all to make a vegetarian fajita. I’m calling these fajitas Rainbow Veggie Fajitas because they look so pretty with their bright multi colours.
There are so many ways to top these veggie fajitas to add more flavour and variety. Some of my favourite toppings are cilantro, pico de gaia, guacamole, mango salsa and even fresh basil leaves. Try a couple or all of these toppings as each one is a flavour and texture enhancer.
For a perfectly paired accompaniment try Cilantro Lime Slaw
Rainbow Veggie Fajitas
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Rainbow Veggie Fajitas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium bell peppers-red, yellow, orange, sliced in strips
- 2 medium sized zucchinis cut in strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8-12 4 inch corn tortillas ( or 6-8 6 inch corn tortillas)
- Pico de Gaia, Cilantro, Mango Salsa, Guacamole, Fresh Lime slices, fresh Basil leaves for garnish (your choice)
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix to blend thoroughly.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions, pepper strips& zucchini strips to the skillet in this order. Cook the vegetables, frequently stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drizzle the fajitas with lime juice and serve with warm tortillas and garnishes.
Note: As in the picture, I like to put the finished veggie fajitas on top of large romaine lettuce leaves so that any of the filling that drops out can be eaten as a lettuce wrap. Bonus!
Whether you have a vegetable garden or just love all the local organic produce of this beautiful summer season I hope you will try these Rainbow Veggie Fajitas and let me know how they turned out for you.