There is so much talk in the last couple of years about self- care.
Lately, I’ve been thinking:
Is there a line between self-care, and self-indulgence?
Or self-care, and escaping life’s responsibilities?
I think many of us ponder over the differences and this can leave us feeling unsure about how to truly take good care of ourselves.
Self- Care vs. Self Indulgence-What’s the Difference?
After doing some research on this question I have come to these conclusions:
- True self-care is deeply restorative.
- Real self care is cumulative & has a leveraged effect over time.
- Effective self-care isn’t always enticing or easy…
- Over time, true self care can change how you see yourself
And true self- care is what we need to feel & really be our best.
It’s not to escape life’s responsibilities.
But, rather to celebrate our body & our life.
- Your weekly (or monthly) massage that relaxes tight muscles, improves circulation
- Your 3-4 times a week exercise session (including a luxurious stretch)
- Choosing high valued organic vegetables & fruit as part of your daily dietary intake
- Twice a year (minimum) dental hygiene visit
- Once a year visit with your GP for a preventative health check
- Seeing a chiropractor or osteopath on a regular basis to keep your spine & pelvis in proper alignment
- Taking high quality Nutritional’s 1-2 times daily to keep your cells in optimal health
- A monthly manicure/pedicure for your hand & feet health
- A bi-monthly facial to create amazing skin & combat aging
Here is what else I believe will enhance your self image
- Having an Image Consultant/Color Specialist do your colors & body silhouette at least once every 5 years (and whenever you decide to let your hair go grey)
- Having a makeup lesson once every 3 years
- Working with a personal trainer/kinesiologist to update your exercise plan on a yearly basis
- Having an update with your hairdresser for an updated styled, every few years
- Have your teeth whitened twice a year after 50 years
- Let a brow specialist give you ideas to keep your brows looking their best as you age
Self-Care from a true point of view is not self indulgent but, when practiced with changed how you see & feel about yourself. This is a huge step in how you live (& love) your life.
Here are some articles that may guide you in your continued Self-Care journey: