Top O’ the Morning to You & Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
To celebrate this wonderful Irish Feast, and being part Irish myself , I thought I would develop a recipe for both vegans and meat eaters alike. Irish Pubs often use many different curries in their dishes. This Green Thai Soup is extra rich in beta-carotene, vital for our immune system, our vision and beautiful, healthy skin.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ pound skinless chicken thigh fillets, finely chopped (omit for vegan option and add 2 cooked, peeled potatoes chopped instead). You can also use both for a heartier version of this soup if you are a meat eater.
- 1 stalk lemon grass, white part only
- ½ 285g jar Thai green curry paste (increase to taste)
- 1 can regular or light coconut milk
- 1¾ cups organic vegetable or chicken stock
- 5 kaffir lime leaf, rubbed between your hands to release the oil
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 280g pack baby green peas (thawed)
- 150g pack bamboo shoots
- juice 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- small bunch Cilantro
- Heat the oil in your largest pan, add the onion and fry for 3 mins to soften. Add the chicken and garlic, and cook until the chicken is light in colour.
- Sauté curry paste, lemongrass and lime leaves
- Add the coconut milk, stock, , then simmer for 12 mins. Add the chopped onion tops, green peas and bamboo shoots and cook for 4-6 mins, until the peas are bright green and tender.
- Meanwhile, put the lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl and blitz with a hand blender to make a smooth green paste. Pour into the soup with the sliced spring onion and heat through. Remove lemon grass before serving. Serve with lime wedges for a wonderful lunch or dinner. For a complete dinner add your favourite side salad.
Leave a Reply