I love Asian Lettuce wraps!! They are such an awesome way to eat a well balanced meal and they are fun too!
This year I am focusing our home cooking on super healthy, low GI and plant based foods. (Sorry to you meat lovers, but I have just seen one too many movies on how big meat plants treat our animals before (and during) when they are slaughtered!
My criteria for meals I cook for my family and friends: every vegetarian or vegan recipe I put together has to be good or better than one cooked with meat. (Now if you really love meat, I would check out the source and only use organic meat that has been ethically treated)
This coming week I am serving this recipe with all the accompaniments !
Prep time about 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound organic ground meat substitute ( the best I have found is Yves Vegie Cuisine)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chili sauce
- 1-4 ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- ½ pound mushrooms
- Black pepper and pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- 3 green onions finely sliced
- green onions for garnish
- 1 pound bean sprouts
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 butter or head lettuce
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Add ground meat substitute and garlic. Cook until it is browned.
- Once browned, stir in the diced onion, sliced mushrooms, hoisin sauce, tamari sauce, vinegar, grated ginger and Chili sauce until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms are soft and lightly browned. Stir in the sliced water chestnuts and green onions until just tender. Season with ground black pepper and Himalayan sea salt to taste. You won’t need much!
On a big platter arrange lettuce leaves, bean sprouts, coleslaw mix and green onions and let guests put their wraps together taco-style.